Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

Model 44 vs. Kwik Way loader

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - JD and Allied attachments » Model 44 vs. Kwik Way loader « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chuck Robbins
Username: Chuck_robbins
RI
Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody had opportunity to compare the two loaders side-by-side? Looking at the specs it looks like the 44 loader wins hands down for lifting capability, but I'm wondering about the responsiveness of Kwik Way's hydro pump.

Thanks

RJ (Bob) Reich
Username: Rjr13579
IL
Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck,
I looked the Kwik Way over pretty good and was headed in that direction before I found a machine with a 44 attached.

KW has been in business a long time and the feedback from this site and others is impressive.

Both machines will have pumps that attach as part of the loader and feedback has them both being about the same in operation. It does depend on what machine they are going on. With the KW you can also add a backhoe which I was interested in.
for some, the biggest difference is getting the 44 which are sometimes very hard to come buy. KW's can be ordered new.
Good luck.

Bill Garrett
Username: Billycarte
VA
Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have owned a JD 44 loader and used it on a 420 since 1992. I have been very pleased with it. You are correct that the 44 loader will lift more than any other loader. I will lift a full bucket of wet anything to full height. I have the 54" optional bucket on mine and it will still do it. The Kwik Way and newer JD 40 loaders will only lift half this much at best. Not saying you could not tweak the other loaders to lift this much, but why bother when there is a factory set up that does it without tinkering. If you are planning on moving stone dust, gravel, damp dirt go for the 44 loader. If you plan to move light stuff, mulch, hay filled manure the other loaders will server you well.

Jim Wiggins
Username: Lt4jim
Tx
Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only seen one Kwik Way loader but Bill's comment about lifting half as much does not apply to it. It was bought new and mounted on my neighbors 430 last year. It lifts more than the real JD 44 loader that's installed on my 322. However, the 44 when installed on a 300 series has a slightly lighter hydralic limiter installed than one for a 4xx series.

We haven't measured the Kwik Way's ultimate lift capacity but it's over 500 lbs (3 people we had handy when we finished the install).

The finish on the Kwik Way is not as nice as the 44 but the 44 is very hard to find.

Jim

Chuck Robbins
Username: Chuck_robbins
RI
Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much for the responses. It sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either loader. Although the benefit of adding a backhoe later sounds very appealing.

I currently have a Johnny Bucket Sr. on my 318 which has a max capacity of around 400lbs and I've had the bucket loaded enough so I couldn't lift it. Granted this uses the 318 hydraulics and doesn't have its own pump so I'm sure that's a contributing factor. I just need/want something that lifts higher ... and looks better too

I haven't read anything about a hydraulic limiter here. Is that another name for relief valve and does it "come with" the pump?

Thanks again.

jeff esche
Username: Birdmayon
MD
Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck,
What people mean by "it comes with a pump", is it has its own hydraulic pump to power the hydraulics for the loader rather than relying on the tractor's hydraulics. On the 300 series, the pump mounts on the front and is powered via the front PTO, using a belt.

Jim Wiggins
Tx
Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Chuck,

Sorry I used the "hydraulic relief" term. Bad choice on my part. To be more exact, there is a "relief valve" (JDs term) that is part of the "control valve" assembly on a 44 loader. according to JD parts, the "relief valve" should be different if installed on a 3xx vice 4xx series tractors. According to JD parts, the relief valve is 625 PSI for 3xx and 700 PSI for 4xx series. It's not part of the pump but a part of the control valve. If you go to JD parts and search for "44", you can see the location in the sectional index for the 44 loader.

I'm no hydraulic expert but I believe the valve is different for safety reasons. i.e. lift is limited on the 3xx series due to different construction of the front axle and size / weight of the tractor. In fact, since the 4xx is limited also (but to a slightly higher pressure), it could lift more too. How much, I don't know but I believe the ultimate amount is limited by this part.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Joseph Wright
Username: Wanta430
KY
Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The relief valve for the 420 and 430 is rated at 700 PSI, but it can be adjusted to 1000 PSI. The 300 series valve has no adjustment. Joe

Gary Parsons
Username: 3jd318
IA
Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck, you can add Backhoe to and loader. I have one on my 318 and 44 using 44 pump. It is a little fast and have to idle slow. Both loaders have advantage. Kwikway self leveling is nice. My kwikway didn't have grease joints so would not last as long, but not a issue with non commercial use.
gp

Charlie
Username: Ss16
MA
Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Garden Tractor with a Kwik-Way Loader. Is there any way to adjust the self leveling feature of the loader? When I load it up and the bucket is in the up position, stuff falls out. Not the entire bucket contents, but enough to make a mess. Also how can I increase the down pressure? The loader doesn't lift the front wheels off the ground, but I can scape and dig with it pretty well.

Thanks!

Bill Garrett
Username: Billycarte
VA
Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can not help with the self leveling feature, as I have the JD 44 loader. If your loader will not lift the front wheels off the ground it sounds like something is wrong in the hydraulics. Is the pump belt drive? If so is the belt slipping under heavy hydraulic load? Your boom cylinders may be leaking internally? You might want to get a hydraulic pressure test gauge, and see what kind of pressure you are developing. KW is a pretty consumer friendly company, so if you do not have the spec on what the pressure should be I am sure a quick phone call to them would give you the answer. Sorry I could not be more help!

Gary Parsons
Username: 3jd318
IA
Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie, the KW will lift front if new and good condition and tractor is free to roll forward. You can help by using hydrostat control. The selflevel has no adj. and is not perfect but close. I just allowed for it when filling bucket. You could move the anchor point on main mast post.
gp

Jim Wiggins
Tx
Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie,

I'm sorry I can't help either. The only Kwik-way I have access to is a model that is a couple of years old and it doesn't have self-leveling. It's just like a 44 functionally.

http://www.kwmanufacturing.com/

has contact info for Kwik-way and literature request. Suggest you give them a call about your model.

Jim

HERMAN WOOD
Username: Old_dog_140
AR
Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys i have what i think is a quick way loader on an old ford garden tractor i don,t know how old the tractor and loder is. some of you folks might help out in this area it is 16 hp with 2-speed hydro. the loader is self levling and looks like it is also quick attach. but it will lift the front of tr off the ground real easy but don,t dig very well it maybe because i don,t know how to use it

Charlie
Username: Ss16
MA
Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Kwik-Way did help and also said there is no adjustment feature for the bucket tilt. I'll take a look at the pump and go from there regarding being able to lift the front wheels off the ground. Although the loader works fine the way it is.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page