Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

318 battery substitute

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » 318 battery substitute « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hank van Cleef
Username: Hankvc
WY
Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 6:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD parts and Keeping it Green list a Deere part number TY 6192, which supposedly crosses to a group 22F, as the proper battery. I've gone through two TY6192 batteries in four years. I spent several weeks trying to get an Interstate group 22F, but no luck. None stocked locally and last word is none from the distributor in Salt Lake (only 600 miles from my front door).
Failure mode in both batteries has been refusal to come up above 14 volts with a 1.5 amp charging current. Should be around 15 on an absolutely fully-charged battery. So the voltage regulator does not reduce currrent, and I get electrolyte blown out of the battery. Makes a terrible mess.

I run Interstates in everything else, and they have given me wonderful service. Will a group 24 battery fit in a 318. If not, what will, in a commonly-available battery.

Also, the cables in my tractor have to be routed behind the battery for the TY6192. That puts them right over the hold-down, which I've insulated to prevent contact with the cable ends.

Only alternative I can think of to finding a post battery that will fit is to replace the cables with tab-end cables and use a smaller tab-terminal battery.

Hank

Richard Soper
Username: Richards
NC
Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hank,

I use an Optima red top battery in my 87 318, and it has given no problems in over 3 years now. It is a tight fit, but my thoughts were that since it is a sealed non-spill battery, and the battery before it spilled and created a nasty mess in the tractor, it was worth the $$$ that the Optima cost.

Just my $.02 worth,

Richard

Gene Norris
Username: Genen
Ia
Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Sears and set mine on the counter and the salesperson went over to a shelf and got me one. It was Group 22 and yes, it had the posts on it. But my old one was post type too. That was about 3 years ago and no problems. I think it cost about $55.

Gene

Wayne Stubbe
Username: Whstubb
WI
Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like this could be a thread like what Oil to use. My opinion is most any battery would do a great job for you providing the proper maintenance is accomplished on it.
Keep it clean, check for proper charging voltage, water levels to specs, & in the Winter especially in cold climates remove battery from tractor, store in a heated room or, if not in a heat room charge the battery frequently. Good common sense to this process goes a long ways
I have a Wal-Mart in my 318 for five years this Spring still going strong.

engine2
Username: Engine2
MN
Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a NAPA 6026 (should have a group 26R w/ reversed posts) that has been in for 7 years now (dated Sept 04). The last one made 8 years if I remember correctly.

Vinnie Hueber
Username: Vinnie110
NY
Post Number: 1180
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Wall-Mart #13-60 in my 317 and it has served well for the last 5 summers, the battery was used when I got it, sits all winter and still starts the tractor in the spring. I think the 318 takes the same battery. Had another one in my 77 Mustang 302 V8 and it lasted 10 years, summers only.

Rob Edwards
Username: Rcedward
NC
Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine's got the generic L&G battery that was in the tractor when I bought it in 2005. I keep hoping it'll die so that I can put in a proper (read:bigger) battery, but it refuses to die. I guess the takeaway is that battery choice isn't terribly critical, at least not in mild climates....

Hank van Cleef
Username: Hankvc
WY
Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to bring this to closure, I was able to get an Interstate MT-26 battery locally. It is now installed in the tractor, and required no modifications to anything.

As shown in the pictures above, the MT-26 does not have reversed terminals, which means that with the posts at the front, positive is on the right, and negative on the left. On my tractor, an "early" 318, the positive cable is on the right side and the negative on the left, and to install a group 22F battery, I had to reverse the battery to get the negative on the left. This put the posts at the rear of the tractor, putting the terminals right over the hold-down, which I did not like. While the Deere manuals show installation with the posts at the front, my cables (may be replacements) weren't long enough to install that way.

While the group 26 battery is smaller than the group 22F, it fits in the cradle nicely, and the threaded portion of the factory hold down parts is long enough to allow proper clamping without having to shim things up with washers.

Electrical capacity of the group 26 is less than for the 22F, but should be quite adequate for the Onan engine, even in the dead of a Wyoming winter.

All in all, I'd be inclined to say that the group 26 battery for a Deere 316 Onan, 318, or 420 is the preferred choice. The Interstate MT-26, which is the top-line type, was only 2/3rds the cost of the Deere TY6192 group 22F.

Hank

KnottyRope
Username: Knottyrope
MA
Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my BJ's wharehouse 40 dollar special from 2004 is still kicking in my 430

Starts up my 420 gasser in the winter too, yep only 1 batt for two tractors since I cant drive em both at same time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page