Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

Honda 24 GX670 - Orange hot muffler

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » Honda 24 GX670 - Orange hot muffler « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Buhnerkempe
Username: Jbuhner
IL
Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello

I was having problems with a glowing orange muller a few months ago (20 hrs on the motor). It was determined that the carb could not be adjusted. The the fuel delivery system was inspected, carb was cleaned and valve clearance checked and the problems was fixed until now.

I am kind of paranoid about this so when I am in some shade I get off and look into the exhaust to see if there is any orange. Today I looked there was a faint orange glow.

Just for the heck of it I decided to pull out the choke like 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch to richen things up a little. I mowed awhile and got off and checked and the sure enough the orange was gone. I pushed the choke back in and mowed awhile and the orange was back. Pulled it out again and left it there, no more orange.

The checking was done with the deck running. The orange seems to increase with the load on the engine. There may we none at idle and when you turn on the deck it shows up. I have my seat switch defeated. I mow on a level property, wear steal toe shoes, safety glasses and hearing protection.

I now have the choke adjusted so that it is in the 3/8 open position when it is closed, if you know what I mean. The choke still pulls up against a stop when open and there appears to be no mechanical stop when it is closed. My question is, are there any adverse implications to running the engine like this, with the choke partially open?

Thanks,

Jim B.

Brad Meehan
Username: Bradm
Ct
Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,
That is the problem now with emission standards, everything is running lean. I bought a 316 that had a replacement carb. on it that did not have a idle mixture screw and could never get to run rite. Ended up putting a old style carb. on it to solve the problem.

I also had a 5HP leaf blower that would turn the exhaust orange that ended up burning a exhaust valve, I assume from the heat.

I don't see a problem with running the choke partially closed, all you are doing is restricting the air into the carb. thus richening up fuel mixture. You may have a slight loss in power.
Brad

Mark Welter
Username: Msgwelter
MN
Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, you can compare your plugs with the chart at
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html . The condition of your plugs can give you a pretty good idea on what is going on inside your cylinders.

Vinnie Hueber
Username: Vinnie110
NY
Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The natural gas generators we have at work will show a dull orange color in the exhaust manifold when run up to full load on a load box. So color in not necessarily a bad thing, on a gas engine the exhaust gas temp is somewhere around 1300 deg F. It does indicate that the engine is running somewhere near full load. I would think that running with the choke pulled out is going to cut your horsepower quite a bit since you are restricting the air flow. I agree looking at the plugs is good check on what that engine is doing.

Chris Anton
Username: Chris
AK
Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if there is a way to possibly drill out the jets a little on those honda carbs since we can't adjust them.

Mark Welter
Username: Msgwelter
MN
Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris, sounds like you could get a dispute going about the virtues of drilling jets. There is a chart at http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint30.shtml if you decide to try it.

Mike Duwe
Username: Mikeduwe
Wi
Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You never want anything glowing orange, thats just asking for fire.
Lean would do it, I would talk to Honda direclty on this.

Arthur Atkinson
Username: Aratki
AL
Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was farming, I ran a gas powered IH 560 with a 5 bottom plow behind it. At night, when the plow was dropped in the ground, the muffler would start to glow at the bottom, then after 100 feet, would be cherry red to the top and shooting 6 inches of blue flame above that. It looked like a candle. As soon as the plow came out of the ground, it all cooled down fast. Diesels never ran that hot, but gas engines did. I later ran a gas powered Bell 47 helicopter that was turboed. The turbo would glow if you saw it at a hover in the evening. And yes, if something is laying against the muffler, it will catch fire.

Vinnie Hueber
Username: Vinnie110
NY
Post Number: 321
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other discussion I saw was that the Hondas do not like to breathe hot under hood air. I wonder what would happen if the hood was removed to let the engine use cooler outdoor air. It may be necessary to fabricate a cool air intake.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page