Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

John Deere 317 Power steering convers...

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » John Deere 317 Power steering conversion and rebuild.(PIC'S) « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Knight
Username: Bobk
Ontario
Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the process of converting my 317 over to power steering.

I also took a ton of pic's of the rebuild of the hydraulic steering unit.

There are WAY too many pic's to re-size and post here.
So here is a link to where I have my orig. post.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=208848

Here's a teaser pic though.

Russ Hofer
Username: Sgtrock
CO
Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was awesome documentation. Can't wait to see the conversion pics

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks,
It's a work in progress.
Keep checking back for updates.

I didn't mention this in the 1st post but the link provided is VERY Picture intensive.
So those with slower connections should be warned.

Keith V
Username: Echos67
Md
Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

That is a great write up, thanks alot for sharing. The documentaion with the pictures is fabulous. I have not rebuilt a steering column but feel better about doing it now after reading that.

Dan Dillner
Username: Captaindan
VT
Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks that will be very helpful if or when I get to take one apart. Nice to know about the little things that can jump out and you spend hours looking for them. They always seem to find the strangest places to end up.

Mike Meyer
Username: 7dad34
Illinois
Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an incredible documentation..great job ! Buut, me being a machinist, you listed that one dimension from reading your calipers /verniers as.70, just over 11/16ths (11/16ths which is .687) and your reading shows .370 which is under 3/8's of an inch (.375)
Just so nobody gets any thoughts that they need to open a hole up going by that 11/16 dimension is all I'm trying to stop. I'm not trying to take anything over...once again, great documentation !

Bob Bokan
Username: Colobob
TN
Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job, Bob -- especially documenting the control valve overhaul. I'm looking forward to seeing how you mounted it in the tractor.

Bob

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,thanks for the correction.
Looks like I was just reading the dial and forgetting about the scale
I'll see about getting that corrected in the post.

I appreciate your expertise... as reading calipers is not mine.

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a small update now.
.http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=208848

I'm asking for a link to a hydraulic schematic for a 420/430.
The J/D parts site has good illustrations but nothing that actually shows the routing.

I need to figure out the Hydraulic line routing.

Also whether the pressure line from the pump goes to the spool 1st then the steering or the other way around.

Brian Hanselman
Username: Hanse1bd
MI
Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, I'm in the middle of a 140 powersteering conversion right now, and the general consensus around here is that the pressure line should go from the pump to the power steering valve, and then to the spool valves. The reasoning is that the power steering has priority and you don't lose steering pressure while turning and raising an implement at the same time. That is why Deere switched from a 4 port steering valve in the earlier tractors to the 5 port.
Excellent fabrication work! I have had to do quite a bit to mine, but not as much as you. Great documentation too!
- Brian

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More updates if interested.

Bob Bokan
Username: Colobob
TN
Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 9:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photo documentation, Bob. Great fab work!

Bob

Eric Ferguson
Username: Cuatrokoop
OH
Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the steering valve has a power beyond port, it should absolutely be the first thing in line after the pump.

ryan
Username: Rpage83
ut
Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 1:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man oh man. I remember "toasty" from years back. Has come along way from its days as a fixeruper! I will be following this VERY close. I have a 317 and been scratching my head how to retro it without going the 400 series route..... Keep it going. Archive this link for sure!

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If the steering valve has a power beyond port, it should absolutely be the first thing in line after the pump."

It has an "IN","OUT","AUX","LEFT" and "RIGHT" ports.

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 5749
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob,

Here is the hydraulic schematic from the TM1950 which show the sequence of the plumbing from pump to 5-port steering valve to attachments and back to reservoir. I will e-mail you a much higher excerpt and the legend of what each component number is described to be. I did not have the 420 specific schematic at the proper resolution to post here, but the differences are slight -- just the third spool of hydraulics for attachments...

By the way, very complete rebuild thread on the other site with great pictures!!

Chuck

Eric Ferguson
Username: Cuatrokoop
OH
Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would imagine that "out" is your tank port and that "aux" is your power beyond.

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so because that's the way I routed the hard lines I made.

#1 is the feed to the power steering unit. #2 is the return to the pump. #3 out from spool. #4 out from steering unit. #5 is of course the "T" fitting. #6 is from the "AUX" on the steering valve to the "IN" on the spool.

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another update available.

I got it working.

jason halouska
Username: Halouska1
NE
Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, great job on your build, I may have to make some tubing in the future and was wondering what size, brand, material, and thickness of tubing you used, specifically for the tubing that connects the hydro pump to the steering. Thanks for your help, and again great build!

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just regular steel brake line tubing.
3/8".
I got all my JIC fittings from discount hydraulics.
.http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/

I didn't measure it but brake line must be .028" to meet DOT requirements.
The burst PSI of steel brake line's can easily withstand 3000psi so this application it should be just fine.

Bob Knight
Ontario
Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a 1.5min. video I made of the road test.
It works great!

Click the link to see the vid.

http://blip.tv/blazbk/john-deere-317-power-steering-conversion-road-test-5803465

jason halouska
Username: Halouska1
NE
Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bob!

KnottyRope
Username: Knottyrope
MA
Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great work!

Michael Nelson
Username: Highwayman
Maryland
Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,
Thats some really nice work and detailed too with the photos will certainly help me with my PS rebuild.
Thanks
Michael

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page