Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

K321 HELP BALANCE GEARS

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » K321 HELP BALANCE GEARS « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roy Schroeder
Username: Ereed011
Wi
Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can the balance gears be taken out without removing crank. I just want to pull those if I can. They look like they would clear the crank , if I got the snap ring off.
Roy

Mark Welter
Username: Msgwelter
MN
Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Brian Miller's website: "Once, just for curiosity, after I've rebuilt a 12hp (K301) Kohler engine, I've ran the engine with the balance gears installed. Then I took them out to see if the engine would vibrate more. (It wasn't a lot of work to remove the gears. I just removed the oil pan, snap rings, washers and spacers, rotated the crankshaft a certain way, and then lifted the gears right out.) Anyway, I found that without the balance gears, the engine vibrate EXACTLY the same as when the gears were installed! Makes ya wonder why the heck Kohler installs them in the first place. ????

The balance gears can be removed from the engine without removing the crankshaft. What's needed is a snap ring pliers with 90 tips to remove the snap rings. Be sure to remove the spacers (if equipped) and shims from the shafts, too."

Roy Schroeder
Wi
Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mark. I just got back from buying some good snap ring pliers. I'll give it a go. The gears are rattling around in there and it drives me nuts. I read that you could run without them.
Roy

Mark Welter
MN
Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roy, let us inquiring minds know how it goes. I think I've seen this same question a couple of times.

Roy Schroeder
Wi
Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Mark, they are out ,but I had to use a narrow chisel to break the snap rings ,because the snap ring plier tips were just a little to big. The back gear, I had to shatter with the chisel to get it out. It would not clear the crank.
I am not running these gears so it didnt matter. If I would have wanted to save them ,I would have pulled the engine apart.
But its back together on my bench anyway. I have other things to fix under the hood ,so it will be a while before it goes back in.
Pictures will be in my gallery.

Mark Welter
MN
Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roy, "Shatter" is not a word we would have wanted to hear but glad it's all out. Give us an opinion on vibration when you get it running.

Roy Schroeder
Wi
Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK- Break the gear in half. That does sound better. Shatter does make me shutter.....ha
All it took was a light tap, because they are cast iron.
I will post how it runs when I get it back together. There are a lot of small things wrong under the hood. I like things to be perfect when I run them, so as long as it is open, I'll fix everything.
Pictures were posted.

Francis Kozlovsky Sr.
Username: Trainstractors
WI
Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pulled the balance gears out of my K321, and it feels about the same except on knock.

Roy Schroeder
Wi
Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Francis. I hope you meant NO KNOCK.

Francis Kozlovsky Sr.
Username: Trainstractors
WI
Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes (no knock).

Steve Hayes
Username: Steveh
VA
Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirk Engines has a Kohler Balance plate which they advertise will allow you to remove the balance gears. This plate is on their web site about 3/4 of the way down the main page.

http://www.kirkengines.com/

Dan Marchelle
Username: Dmarchelle
NJ
Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the knock from the balance gears sound anything like a rod or piston pin knock? Thanks

Roy Schroeder
Wi
Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Steve. I just pulled the gears,and reassembled. It has just a slight difference in vibration. Mostly at an idle. Running higher, it runs like before.
Dan, That is why I pulled the gears out. It sounded like a bad rod ,clanking around in there.
It runs fine now. It was a lot of work, but I didnt know if it was the rod ,or the balance gears.I didnt want to keep using it, until I knew for sure.
Done now.
Mark its a go.
Roy

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page