Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

John Deere 322 charging light stays on

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » John Deere 322 charging light stays on « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brandon D'Avis
Username: Deere_317
WA
Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a 322,and it does not charge,what should I start to check for?How do I test the regulator?

Thanks,
Brandon

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon,

You may already have the TM1591 manual which has test procedures and schematics...but just in case you need something to get started, here are some excerpts that may help:
application/pdf
charge circuit operation.pdf (7.8 k)

application/pdf
charging circuit.pdf (23.8 k)

application/pdf
charging system tests.pdf (21.0 k)

There are plenty of threads on this topic and now that search is working try looking for "322 and charging" to get the likes of http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/335/148425.html about the overcharging issues and http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/200081.html about the light always on.

Hope this helps...

Chuck

Brandon D'Avis
WA
Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Chuck, Do you or anyone else know how to test the regulator,I read those threads but i did'nt find it,maybe I missed it somewhere.

Thanks,
Brandon

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 492
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon,

You might look through the thread at http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/164807.html on 300 series voltage regulator issues.

Section 240-25 of the TM1591 manual has several pages on the testing of the charging circuitry and lists the various conditions for each of the 322, 332 and 430 tractors. It is a little too long for me to post here both for size and for copyright considerations.

Chuck

Brandon D'Avis
WA
Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I cleaned some connections and now it is over charging,it is at 16 volts at the battery at WOT,so I think I have bad regulator or dirty connections somewhere else. Also,the plug at the regulator gets very hot now.

Brandon

Wayne Stewart
Username: Diezel
NY
Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon,

I had the same problem on my 332. After cleaning the terminals, checking for bad connections and all the wires (including the battery check), PTO, and the alternator and the voltage regulator, the problem still existed. The voltage was sometimes producing the correct voltage and sometime under and over. I ended up replacing the voltage and that solved the problem!

I know it costs around $80 for the regulator but if you've done all the checking I mentioned above, most likely it's the bad voltage.

Good luck

Steve Hayes
Username: Steveh
VA
Post Number: 1022
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon,
When you put all the cleaned connections back together, first coat them with Dielectric grease to prevent them from corroding again in the future.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page