Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

What paint on plow?

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - JD and Allied attachments » What paint on plow? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Kosakowski
Username: Mkos1980
Ohio
Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully within the next few days I hope to be a new owner of a Brinly Plow. Used to be white but its all rusted out. pLan on painting it white again, but what kinda of paint will work well?

Ron White
Username: Ron_white
NY
Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Matt,,

From what I have read, Cub Cadet white is about the same as the Brinly white.

I just painted my Brinly sleeve hitch plow in John Deere's colors and I am doing the same now on my 3 point. I will get some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ron.. I saw a Brinly painted in JD Colors in that Garden Tractor book thats out now. That got me wondering what I should do. keep it origional or spice it up. I see Jims L&G sells repo decals so thats a good thing.

Ron White
NY
Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here are a few pix, not the best setting but good for tonight !!

Kenneth Dortch
Username: Kdursus
CO
Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Kosakowski - If it were me I'd paint your plow the original colors, the colors Brinly Hardy painted it in the factory. Per my phone conversations with Bruce at Brinly Hardy (one of the old timer engineers at Brinly Hardy) the paint Brinly Hardy used on the attachments they made for LGTs was International Harvester Beige or off white as he referred several times. You can get the IH 935 paint at your local Case IH dealer and for me any way it was a little less expensive than John Deere paint. Some time ago I painted 2 Brinly Hardy CC-500 cultivators with the IH 935 and I think they turned out pretty nice.

This is how I'd paint my Brinly Hardy plow.

Kenneth

Doug Linton
Username: 425and300jd
In
Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 5:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt,
The color is all about personal preference.
I like my Brinly plows painted Green and Yellow to match my tractors.
plows

Jim Dimmerling
Username: Jdodad1
Ohio
Post Number: 1333
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it were me I would paint them to match my tractors.......

Or if I wanted to be different they might look like this.......

Romeo Isabelle Jr.
Username: Littlejd
OH
Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my plow. I took it all apart. Everything came off good "except" the crank rod to the threaded tube. The darn crank rod snapped off inside the tube. Needless to say I'll have to order these 2 piece. Hope they are not alot lol. If so I'm going down the street to TSC tomorrow to see what I can find that may work.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picked up the hitch as well. I'll hopefully have all this done for Oct plowday.

Dale Merkle
Username: Dmerkle
Oh
Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt,
I made this set up.

I used
2 coupling nuts
threaded rod
3/16 X 1 1/4 X 4-6 inches long flat steel
1/4 X 2 inch bolt/locknut for handle

Bunky
Username: Bunky
MI
Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron

Where did you get the decals for your plow??
I would like a set for this

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got off the phone with Brinly. They want 61.37 for the tube and 46.87 for the rod. YEA RIGHT lol. I'll make something like above before I spend that lol.

Ron White
NY
Post Number: 771
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bunky,

The decals are from Deere. They are from a Gator XUV Special Edition. They are part # M159520 and cost me 8.50 each.

But I don't think they will work on your because your adjustment mount is bolted to the backbone were mine is an older model and welded in.
You could weld yours in, remove the bolt and fill the hole!!

Drew Gardner
Username: Dg330
AL
Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Matt, Thats the color of my plow, whats wrong with that? I need to paint mine too. What color did you decide on?

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had my dad acid bath the plow. Its bare steel now. Pitted but nice and clean now.

Drew I picked up a can Of International Harvester White from Tractor supply. Made by Valspar. It sure is an off, cream beige, white color lol.

I also picked up an old Sears Aerator tongiht too. Its huge and old but works good. I plan on restoring that too. I didnt even know my neighbor had it. Since her husband died in Feb I've cut her grass since and when the family was cleaning out his shed she rolled this out and yelled, you want this? I was like Sure!! I scored a Vintage Lawn Boy too. I was amazed to find a LawnBoy club just like our WFM lol. Guess everything has followers.

Now back to the plow, should i Paint the plow itself black or just the backing black and leave the front bare smooth steel with a coat of wax? Do plows requing sharpening? Should i make it sharp enough to cut paper? I assume the coulter needs to be sharp too?

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Is there any tq specs on the bolts for reassembly? I'm reusing all the bolts as I had them dipped too and they came out looking great. ONly thing not origional will be my crank lever. I gotta fab somethin gup or find a used one

Romeo Isabelle Jr.
Username: Littlejd
OH
Post Number: 1364
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt

Paint the moldboard then after some use it will clean itself up. Some shine them but me well it'll pull a little harder til it gets cleaned up that's all.
As for torque specs, I used an impact when I redid my 10"
Some of them will get loosened once you get it in the dirt and adjustments made.
I had a lot of help at Tom's last year setting a plow up so if you don't know just ask the day of and someone will help. I even think some of them were snorting dirt on the side

If your still needing a loaner set of weights I can bring an extra set along for you. JLMK

Steve Wolgamott
Username: Poolguy
MI
Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of acid do you use to clean up the steel?

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad works at a company that draws wire down for wire guided missles and well, its kinda slow now and they usually dunk these spools of wire in a hot acid solution (Thats all I know) to remove anything and everything. Well the acid is cold just sitting there so he put it all in a steel basket and lowered it in. Took a little while for it to be cleaned vs if the acid is hot, but it came out spotless. No rust paint or anything.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming along.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming along.

Mike Duwe
Username: Mikeduwe
Wi
Post Number: 3329
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you paint your moldboard?

Bare metal will be smoother and wont collect dirt as easy. It may take some time for your paint to wear off while plowing. Something to think about.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike , it was painted. Should I put a pad on the drill and take it to bare metal? Any other spots that should be bare metal? I dont know any better and maybe though the dirt would take it off or something ...

Lowell Gates
Username: Lgates110
MO
Post Number: 1853
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used the cheapest flat black spray paint I can find on my moldboards for years! The cheap stuff comes off easily while plowing in most soils. ~~ Lowell

Steve Hayes
Username: Steveh
VA
Post Number: 1372
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deere sells a "Soft Black" rattle can paint that is designed specifically to scuff off quickly when the disk or plow is put to work. Soft Black is basically paint with the curing agent left out so it never cures but dries to a flat black finish.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used a good oil based primer and enamel paint....

Don Corbin
Username: Dwc4020
Pa
Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt,
I see that you are planing to go to Tom's plow day next month in Ohio. After a trip around his field, most of the paint should be worn off of the surface of the moldboard and shine it up pretty good.

Lowell Gates
Username: Lgates110
MO
Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve, I've used "soft paint" years ago, had trouble with it not lasting all winter (stored outside).

Cheap flat black lasts longer & still wears off easily. ~~ Lowell

Doug Linton
Username: 425and300jd
In
Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I painted my moldboard and coulter with cheap flat black paint after plowing and before leaving MEB's Plow Day.
A shined up moldboard will turn rusty within a very short time if it gets any moisture on it.

Mike Duwe
Username: Mikeduwe
Wi
Post Number: 3332
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt, the paint and primer might be a little tougher than the other treatments guy are talking about.

You will likely wear off the bottom half of the plow that is in the dirt, but the top half will take some time and thats where you may have dirt buildup if its not shiny.

I would take the paint off and recoat it with something less permenant like the guys are recommending. It will give you more time in the field with a smooth moldboard and better plowing, instead of waiting for it to wear off the paint and primer.

Steve Hayes
Username: Steveh
VA
Post Number: 1381
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt,
Basically you only want the paint on the plow share and coulter to protect the steel from rusting when not in use. But you also want the paint to wear off quickly when you start using the plow. Paint with primer will take too long to scour off and will actually make the plow harder to pull.

Matt Kosakowski
Ohio
Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to take the paint off this week with a sanding pad. I'll post some pics when done. What kinda wax do you guys speak of when applying it to the plow for smoothness?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page