Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

Stens brand belts?

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Gear Drive Tractors Archive » Stens brand belts? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeremy buening
Username: Buening
IL
Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are all belts created equal, or is the consensus to only use John Deere brand belts? I'm thinking of getting new belts with hopes of solving my variator problems in a few posts down from this one. I can get Stens brand belts for over half the price of what Deere wants for theirs. Any bad experiences?

Joe Loch
Username: Jloch
oh
Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeremy, only buy Deere belts. and buy both new, never replace only one

Roy Schroeder
Username: Ereed011
Wi
Post Number: 2157
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeremy. There half the belt too. They will also wear in twice the time. If you remember the old saying: "You get what you pay for."
Listen to Joe....ha

kevin boyer
Username: Johndeere214
ia
Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with Roy i have a troy bilt and used stens belt did not work all that long got the right belt have used it for 11/2 years now sorry for the non deere post

Jim Briney
Username: Lodogg2221
IN
Post Number: 2492
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know how they compare to other brands, but if the belt you take off says Deere, you wont be happy with anything else...unless you like replacing them.

jeremy buening
IL
Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all I needed to know! I figured as much, but thought I would ask those that have been down that road

joshua cronk
Username: Jcronk69
ny
Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also the variator never seems to work right if you put on anything but jd belts. Almost wonder if they did that on purpous so you have to buy their belts!
But they are a quality belt and will last a long time.

Stan Barnes
Username: Stanb112
CT
Post Number: 1628
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, the design of the variator drive system requires a different "V" angle from standard belts. It is not a ploy by Deere to sell belts.
Stan

jeremy buening
IL
Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the belts on my tractor are definitely not Deere belts. The different "V" may be the root cause of my variator issues! If the previous owner had the guts to put a boat seat on the tractor, lord knows what belts he chose to use

Harold Maat (gear oil and burnt atf are the only cologne a real man ever needs)
Username: Hm12460
mi
Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeremy, pay mother deere the price! your variator will thank you by operating much better. i've bought belts for other non green applications at my local napa and have had good results, but i'd never put anything but genuine john deere belts, as a pair, on a variator equipped deere.

Terry Beasley
Username: Ncdeere
NC
Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine that JD makes their own belts. If not then they are gates or some other name brand with JD markings.

jeremy buening
IL
Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats something I was wondering Terry. Looking at JD belt markings, they do appear somewhat like the Gates belt markings.

Robert D. Garner
Username: Robertg991
il
Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they don't make their belts, but have them sourced to someone to make them to Deere's specifications.
BTW, Most belts A, B, 3L, 4L, and 5L have angles of 32 - 38 degrees included angle. The reason you want to use Deere belts on the variator is they are 26 degree belts to match the variator pulleys.
I used a name brand belt on my pto to deck once and it lasted, I think, one mowing. Yes, you could use other belts, but it would have to be the equivalent of Deere spec'd belts.

Bob

James R Snyder
Username: Jim_snyder
NY
Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeremy, There is a wealth of information here and it's up to you to use it the way you see fit. Learn form other peoples experiences. Looks like you have done a really nice job on your machine so far. Go the extra mile, get Deere belts and have the piece of mind that you have the right belts and quality belts.

jeremy buening
IL
Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I already received the JD brand belts, I was just responding to Terry because that was one of my initial thoughts.

James R Snyder
Username: Jim_snyder
NY
Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeremy, I hope you didn't think I was giving you a hard time. I know sometimes I need a little nudge to buy something from Deere thats a little pricey.....

jeremy buening
IL
Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, $50 for two belts is pretty nutty. I've bought timing belts cheaper than that!

Anyways, belts are on and the variator is adjusted. I noticed the primary belt that was on the tractor was the correct JD belt, it still had the part number on it. The secondary belt didn't have any markings, probably because the idler rubs it off.

With the belts off, I sprayed some graphite lubricant on the middle sheeve bearing. I did notice some side-to-side rocking of the middle sheeve This could be causing it to bind at times. I haven't driven the tractor yet, it is storming pretty bad out now.

Terry Beasley
Username: Ncdeere
NC
Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had Gates belts on three different 110's now with no issues. They have a direct crossover to a Gates number from the JD number and the Gates replacement is GREEN.

andrew donohue
Username: Ad356
ny
Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gates belts are probably some of the better belts. i had a 1961 bolens ride-a-matic a couple of years ago. bolens hasnt supported this machine in a long, long time. i had to go with after market belts. i bought gates and they worked quite well. this tractor also had a variable speed pulley setup almost identical to the jd variator. the variator wasnt an original idea and machines had almost identical setups years before even the original 110 rf was thought of. but yes since original equipment jd belts are readily available im going to buy them. they are not cheap but last a long time. im going to replace mine and god only knows how long they have been on my 112.

scott ranes
Username: Longspur69
ks
Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked in Iola Kansas, at the Gates Rubber Co. there for 10 years, we built only hydraulic hose. They did in other power drive plants make John Deere belts, but so did other belt manufacturers at times. We even made hose for Dayco a major competitor on one run of several thousand feet. Just fyi.

Korey Kuehni
Username: Kordog
Wi
Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The middle sheeve does have some play, but I noticed that it seems ok with the play. I used NAPA belts on my 8hp 110, and they seem to be holding up ok so far. I only use the tractor for mowing, and moving trailers around the yard ( 18 ft boat, pop-up camper). I have no issues with the belts, and they seem to be wearing OK, but I would stick with the Deere belts. I have them on my 10hp 110 that is for snow removal, and I wouldn't go back. The only reason I have the NAPA belts was because I was in a rush to get them, and the closest Deere dealer is far enough away. Korey

Johnny Davis
Username: Johnnyvolvo
VA
Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My opinion is this,i agree that on the variator system you should use only John Deere belts because of how the center sheeve fuctions.The angle and width of the belts would be crucial for the system to work properly.As far as for the mower deck and the PTO belt,i'm still up in the air on these.Since these are spring tension setups and the idlers aren't exact fits to the belt,it seems to me that if you have a good brand belt that is the right length and width,then they should work ok.I do agree that you need a good quality belt,but there are other quality belt manufacturers out there that makes belts comparable to the John Deere belts.I have been running non John Deere mower deck and PTO belts on my 210 for a couple months now with no problems yet.Because our nearest John Deere dealer is 25 to 30 miles away.

(Message edited by johnnyvolvo on October 23, 2008)

Roger Henning
Username: Woodpecker41
WI
Post Number: 2793
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny the reason mowers chew up non JD belts is most belts are not designed to run with a twist/change of direction in the belt. The belt that is on the deck probably won't be a problem but the one from the engine to the deck will not hold up. Roger

Johnny Davis
Username: Johnnyvolvo
VA
Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Roger,i hadn't thought about the twist issue but it makes sense.

Johnny

DEAN KITCH
Username: Deankitch
KS
Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a couple of mower deck belts a few weeks ago, and guess what! One was made in the good old USA and the other in CHINA! BOTH WERE GENUINE jOHN DEERE BELTS.
Not happy, but what can you do.
Also bought John Deere bearings that were made in Russia!
I have to think that they were made to JD specs.

Dean

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page