Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

A Tricyle Garden Tractor???

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Gear Drive Tractors Archive » A Tricyle Garden Tractor??? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Crome pipe for a 112Richard C Clarke10-07-09  11:01 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Stahlman
Username: Dstahman
MO
Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

140 tricycle

Have you ever seen anything like this? Neat looking but would it be functional? May look pretty neat with dual rear wheels. Just thought I would share.

ROY SCHROEDER
Username: Ereed011
Wi
Post Number: 3913
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave there are a lot of people at this site that have done that. Check out the gallery.

David Stahlman
MO
Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just for looks or would you do it just for fun? I mean from what I can tell you couldn't put the deck back on as it would be missing the front supports.

Wouldn't it be less stable and more likely to tip?

David Stahlman
MO
Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would one even go about doing this? Is there a kit or plans or something? This is cool, if I had a second one I could just "play" with I would do something like this with dual wheels and maybe some fender lights.

ROY SCHROEDER
Wi
Post Number: 3914
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as the tipping, I would think it would be easier to tip. I dont know for sure ,but that is my guess.Most do it for show tractors.
There are people that make the kits and sell them, and a lot of the guys just build there own.
Try NARROW FRONT END in the search box. You might find some of the postings that way.

David Stahlman
MO
Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the world of "big" tractors what is the purpose of the narrow front end? Was it a benefit for certain tasks? I only ever grew up with an old ford 8n so tractors are quite foreign to me.

ROY SCHROEDER
Wi
Post Number: 3916
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no farmer, but I guess it would have something to do with turning sharp in the fields.

Roger Henning
Username: Woodpecker41
WI
Post Number: 3533
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David for years the narrow front was so the tractors wheels fit between the rows. Those tractors were very dangerous and no manufacturer makes one with that wheel arrangement any more for a reason. I rolled a garden tractor over this summer and it wasn't because it was a tricycle design. It took me 60 years to have that happen and was very lucky to only get stiff and sore muscles out of it but if was just good luck it wasn't worse. There is no way I would own a tricycle designed tractor after that experience. Roger

Mark A. Miller
Username: Monkey_business
IL
Post Number: 1094
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had several larger tractors in the past that were narrow front, still own 2. To tell you the truth, they serve 2 reasons the best FOR MY APPLICATIONS 1 - Hands free in a corn row, beleive it or not can set those fronts over a cut corn row and they will stay right there for the duration of the row, ( also will wake you up at the end of the row when it gets real bumpy ) and yes I have plowed with one...... when I was much younger and went out the night before alot more. 2. EXTREMELY sharp turns, sure makes it easier for correcting when backing a 2 wagon train into the crib., and dare I say it.... I have a little CA that can mow just damned near anywhere a ZTR will go, but I"m a flatlander. so each have their purpose. JMO, Mark

Jason M
Username: Jamoperformance
Il
Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you really want to see a deathtrap, you see a lot of old tricycle tractors for sale with loaders on them.

Aaron Stoffa
Username: Jr8stoffa
IA
Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 3:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am working on my narrow front on a 67 110. From my test drives with it, its not tippy. You also have to be careful as with any machine. This is for more play / show than anything, but I might hook a plow to it or my cultivator to play. I have used it to pull the trailer around the yard. Most of all, every one that see's it likes it. Aaron

Chris Loftus
Username: 03rsixer
ON
Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've always had row crop two cylinders on the farm and never had an issue. Had a loader on one too. Did lots of culivating, etc with them and loved them.....very manuverable. It's pretty much flat land where I am though, but I wouldn't go driving along side of a very steep hill with one (but probably wouldn't with most standard tractors either). Like most things it comes down to the operator and using some common sense in operating and knowing the limits.

Tom Ingels
Username: Tommyhawk
Oh
Post Number: 1676
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of you fellows are too young to have seen farm operations of the 40's and 50's, so haven't seen anyone cultivate row crops with 1, 2, or 4 row cultivators mounted on the tractor. The tricycle front began to sell well in the mid thirties, I believe.
The tricycle front wheels fit between the rows, rear wheels were set wide to clear two rows, while the cultivators were mounted to the front sides of the tractor. Much easier to see what you were doing looking forward instead of behind you, and much easier to mount the cultivators. John Deere's "Quick Tach" style was one of the best ever.
One and especially two row mounted corn pickers (late 40's early 50's) took over from pull type pickers used before. Not so easy to mount, but more agile in the field. Don't remember any two row pickers that fit a wide front, but there may have been some.
Today, all that is done with chemicals and combines except for tobacco and vegetable farming in my area.
Short history lesson for the day.

tommyhawk

jim
Username: Jlaweber
wi
Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are very nasty when you hit a rock or some other debri if they have no power steering

Sanford "Doc" Nelson
Username: Plainsman61
NE
Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fun listening to everyone.. my two cents, the narrow fronts were quite practical, for a mounted corn picker (have to set the rears out quite wide), for front-mount row crop cultivators, and for loaders. Narrow fronts were much, much tougher than the early wide fronts. In fact, most of the early loaders wouldn't work on a wide front. Try finding a 4020 that has had a loader without a broken/welded spindle.

As far as the "deathtrap" syndrome, a narrow front is only as safe as the person handling the machine.

Makes for a cute riding mower though!

Doc

Lowell Gates
Username: Lgates110
MO
Post Number: 1913
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on narrow front two-cylinders. Jim, that's what "Roll-O-Matic" is for! Doc, agreed on the safe operator statement! Anything can be dangerous if used improperly!

And yes, they do make a nice variation for garden tractors! ~~ Lowell

Loren Vosberg Jr
Username: Lorenjr
mn
Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I built one a few years ago too.

Gregory Ashcraft
Username: Gda882002
oh
Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thouse shure look neat ,how hard is it to build?
Greg

David Stahlman
MO
Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everybody. I agree that it really makes a difference who is handling it. As for me and my inexperience I don't think I would want to handle one of the big ones just yet, but it may be neat to play around with one of the smaller ones.

Another question off topic. Is it normal to have one of these and immediately want another? I just got my 72 110 and I already want another. I want to use one as a mower with a finish mower and beef up another with lug tires weights and such to do some work with. Am I alone or is it easy to get hooked on these GTs?

Jim Brown
Username: Jasbro2
GA
Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David,

I have absolutely no need for a garden tractor but I now have six and comb the ads every day for more interesting ones! As you get attachments and implements you will want more and as you begin to go to shows, plow days and swap meets the addiction will grow. You will probably find other needs for more tools, welders, trailers, compressors, sand blasters, etc. All wonderful fun and you can even use them for work around the house. Good luck developing into a collector!
Jim

Lowell Gates
MO
Post Number: 1915
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David, wanting more is not only normal, it's REQUIRED! I was up to seven refurbished tractors, sold two last week. Now I'm looking for more attachments, preferably the unusual! ~~ Lowell

John Schepers
Username: John_s
mi
Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need a tractor for each impliment.......changing impliments is for amateurs........a sense of humor and a little b.s. is also required.

Mark A. Miller
Username: Monkey_business
IL
Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 3:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gregory, if you REALLY want to see some NF's in action go to you tube and search tractor rodeo or any similar thing there are several on there for square dancing as well, it is quite impressive and you know they have many practice hours too. enjoy, Mark

Tom Ingels
Username: Tommyhawk
Oh
Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This "730/110" also has a working Roll-O-Matic front.

730/110

jim
wi
Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is the roll o matic

Matthew Bullard
Username: Mbullard
MO
Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/johndeere/rollomatic.html

Lowell Gates
MO
Post Number: 1922
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a Roll-o-matic front end, the front spindles are on geared arms so that when one goes up over an obstacle, the other one goes down, thus evening out the bump.

jim
wi
Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks i grew up on 2 molines that did not have this feature. they were real finger or knuckle busters at times.

Richard C Clarke
Username: Rclarke112
Iowa
Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, too cool. If I had more time and money I'd be divorced! I'd have 5 of them of course my kids wouldn't be able to go to college but it would be FUN to own a few!!! Great work!! They look AWESOME!!

Dan Bennett
Username: Rachetman
Iowa
Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this one.

Jason Rowland
Username: Ripple_fx1
IN
Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really subtle....
Cheers! JR

Jeffery Rehm
Username: Jrehm
NY
Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used both narrow and wide front end tractors I always preferred the wide fronts. I personally found it harder to back wagons with the narrow tractors for some reason. Never really though about one tipping when I drove them, but I never got myself in a position where it would have been a problem.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page