Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

John Deere 316 Brake Repair

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » John Deere 316 Brake Repair « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Rieker
Username: Paul_r
Mi
Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much work is involved in replacing the brake band/shoes on a John Deere 316 Hydro with a 16 Hp Kohler single cylinder engine? Are the brakes internal or external. The tractor creeps forward when the motion lever is in the neutral position....is this just a matter of linkage adjustment or something internally?

Roy Schroeder
Username: Ereed011
Wi
Post Number: 2866
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul. The creep should be a linkage adjustment.
I'm not sure of the brakes, but if its like a 140, they should be internal drum style. If they were disc, you would be able to see the disc.
If you look behind your wheel ,you should be able to see them.
You probably will need a puller to get the hub off, if its like the 140.from there its just the 2 shoes.
Roy

Jim Briney
Username: Lodogg2221
IN
Post Number: 3172
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, WELCOME!

If it creeps, thats a linkage issue, not brake related. Most likely you have some worn parts, but they are easy enough to change out and not too expensive (based only on my experience with my 318). I am pretty sure you have drums, also not hard to service, but usually they just need an adjustment which can be done without removing the drums.

Jim and Jo Broyles
Username: Jimnjo
AR
Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,
Your 316 has drum brakes. The drums can be a bear to pull. You can see the friction material from behind the drums, check to see if there's any material left before you pull the drums. It may just need adjusting, each side is adjusted separately by turning the yoke above each axle. They're probably seized, use some heat and penetrating oil to free them up.

Craig Chatterton
Username: Craig2x2
WA
Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could also be that one of your axle seals is leaking - which drips ATF onto your brake shoes, my 300 had that problem. Deere gouges somewhat on brake shoes at ~$25 each. I don't know of a good way to remove the ATF if it has indeed landed on the shoes.

Jim and Jo Broyles
Username: Jimnjo
AR
Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 3:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Craig. If thats it, I remember "back in the day" we would heat brake shoes that had been oil soaked with a propane torch, just enough to drive the oil out, but not hot enough to burn. Surprising how much oil can be driven out of the friction material that way.

Paul, how much pedal movement do you have? 316 brakes are not all that powerful at best, I used the brakes on mine more as a traction aid, applying slight braking to which ever wheel is spinning, sending power to the other side, and to help steer when I pushing a load with the front wheels off the ground.

Jim Briney
Username: Lodogg2221
IN
Post Number: 3176
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, thats what they are mostly good for. That and a parking brake.

On the movement, you should just BARELY be able to push them far enough to set the brakes.

There is an adjustment spec in the manual.

Is your 316 a kohler or Onan? I can tell you the spec if its an Onan...

Jim Dimmerling
Username: Jdodad1
Ohio
Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"on a John Deere 316 Hydro with a 16 Hp Kohler "

Paul Allen
Username: Pinbr
md
Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, go to http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/61368.html?1231363952
Your 316 has the same controls. This tells you how to adjust creep.I hope this helps. Paul

Paul Allen
Username: Pinbr
md
Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, That didn't work, try thishttp://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/389213.html?1216939174

Paul Rieker
Username: Paul_r
Mi
Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all of the help, you guys are great!!! I was looking at a 316 single that has this issue. Decided not to purchase it because of other issues plus someone else bought it the day after I looked at it. Looking at a 314 now but I would prefer a 317 with a series II Kohler or a Onan engine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page