Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

Converting 30 hydro tiller to three-p...

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - JD and Allied attachments » Converting 30 hydro tiller to three-point hitch? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randall M. Messer
Username: Randynh
NH
Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just recently acquired a JD 322 which has a factory JD three-point hitch, and was wondering if I can convert my Model 30 hydro tiller (30" with 12" extension) to a three-point hitch configuration from the normal two-point hitch?

I saw a later-model 42" hydro tiller on a JD455 which looked as though the housing was the same as my Model 30 - model number 2697 - which had a three-point tower lift.

When I compared my 30 tiller (model 1988) with the later 42 tiller (model 2697) it looked as though the mounting flanges for the three-point lift assembly would fit my mounting areas.

Am I correct in this assumption, and would I be able to retrofit the model 2697 mounts to my model 1988 tiller?

Thanks!

Paul J. Mashek
Username: Ia_lonewolf
IA
Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randall,
I think the mount on that 400 series will bolt right on. I did just what you are talking about. I converted the "four point" tiller mount over to a cat. 0 three point. I will look for the measurements tonight when I get back home. I think I have some pictures too. If you can weld it is easy to make. It also works very well. I did mine like three or four years ago.
Paul

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 2232
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randall and Paul,

Using the 3-pt to lift the 30 tiller works out just like stock of you have the 5/8 pins on the rockshaft like that latest versions of the factory 3-pt units did. The lower mounts are a bit different for the tiller than the 3-pt, and provide some adjustment as to 'agressiveness' and 'depth' of till per the manual.

Here is a drawing and table that might be of some help:
application/pdf
30 hydraulic tiller setting points.pdf (48.8 k)

application/pdf
30 hydraulic tiller settings table.pdf (47.9 k)

There is a lot of useful info in Jim Briney's thread on this topic at:
http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/357958.html?1213553935

Chuck

William Shifflett
Username: Wills318
Virginia
Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randall,

Last fall I purchased a 30 hydro with a 3 pt already installed - just what I was looking for since I intended to use other 3 pt attachments. I really can't compare to the two point configuration, but so far, I'm happy with the design. It may be an aftermarket 3 pt bracket. Others may have insight as to whether JD makes one.

Putting on the belly pump wasn't so bad, but hooking the belt to the mule drive was a pain.

I need to rig something to hold the hydro hoses off the ground - right nw, they are secured with wire ties.

William

Jim Briney
Username: Lodogg2221
IN
Post Number: 3493
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD does make one for the newer 42" Hydraulic tiller, which will bolt right onto the 30.

I am also going to have a few for sale that Im making, hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

They are out there if you dont want to make one yourself.

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 2235
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

William,

Here is the Deere approved method for holding the belly pump hoses off the ground as they pass under the rear of the tractor:

The hook is actually a dual use -- it serves as the right hand retaining pin in the lower mount bracket. There is a full description on the operator's manual, OMM 89022, but here is a shot of the loose parts that should have shipped with the tiller when new...

Let me know if you need an excerpt of the manual where the use of this hook is described...

Chuck

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page