Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

1970 110 John Deere

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Gear Drive Tractors Archive » 1970 110 John Deere « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Greazel
Username: Deerefriend
Ia
Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought this tractor and had spark, but no juice to the starter. Replaced solenoid, now that works but I have no spark until I turn the key to the off position. I replaced the key switch, and when I did that I had spark and like your supposed to I had to push in the clutch. Went to try and start it after supper and now I'am back to no spark until I turn the key to the off position!!!???? What the hell is going on? any info will be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the points cover off and with the key on I push the points apart and get no spark, but if the screwdriver is touching the points it will spark.?

Edward H. Lincoln
Username: Ed_lincoln
Wa.
Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then the points are dirty and need to be filed or replaced.

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I replaced the points and this is still not working.

Edward H. Lincoln
Wa.
Post Number: 1425
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you remove the spark plug and lay it on the head with the spark plug wire connected, you should get the spark plug to fire every time you open and close the points quickly with a screwdriver If it won,t fire then the coil or condenser may be bad or the point gap is way off and not opening.

stephen shiery
Username: Sashiery
MO
Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should not have spark with the key switch in the off position. You may have the wrong solenoid or the wrong key switch. Compare part numbers with the old ones. You may also have a bad new key switch. It happens.

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time the spark plug when laid on the head will fire is if my screwdriver touches the points hen I push them apart, or when I turn the key to the off position.

When I put the new key switch in everything worked perfectly fine once. Now I'm back to square one.

Stan Barnes
Username: Stanb112
CT
Post Number: 2173
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave, use a voltmeter set to DC and connect the black lead to the ground terminal on the battery and the red lead to the (-) terminal on the coil. Remove the spark plug, turn the key to RUN and turn the engine over by hand two or three revolutions. The meter should alternate between +12v and zero volts as the points open and close.

If you have steady +12v the points are not making contact or the wire to them is broken. If you have steady 0v then the points are staying closed, are shorted, or the wire to them is shorted.

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Thanks, I will check that and see what happens......Thanks

Stan Barnes
Username: Stanb112
CT
Post Number: 2176
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, verify that the wires on the coil are attached correctly; ignition lead from the switch on the (+) terminal, wires to the points and condenser on the (-) terminal. You should have +12v at the (+) terminal with the switch in RUN and START positions.

Edward H. Lincoln
Wa.
Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if he was given a solid state ignition switch?

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update.....After installing...
1.New Battery
2.Solenoid
3.Points
4.Condensor
5.Coil
6. Ignition Switch
I still had no spark.....Let it sit over the weekend and jumped on it again tonight, slowly went over everything and noticed the points neede adjusted.....boom we had spark!!!!!!Now I wonder what i really needed to replace other than the solenoid originally....Oh well they look shiny new now!!!lol
Unfortunately after all that she still doesnt want to run, so now its on to the carb.

Edward H. Lincoln
Wa.
Post Number: 1431
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The correct point gap is .020 thous, the correct gap also has a lot to do with the way the engine preforms. Less than .020 the engine is retarded and sluggish, over 020 the engine is advanced to far and will ping under load.

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks....I almost forgot all about that...no wonder it really didn't want to fire last night. I'am heading out to see if I can get her to start. Thanks for everyones help!

Dave Greazel
Ia
Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah she fired with the assistance of starting fluid....now off to rebuild the carb.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page