Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

Cat "0" vs. Cat "1" 3 Point Hitch...

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » Cat "0" vs. Cat "1" 3 Point Hitch « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Cronbaugh
Username: Scronbau
IA
Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on installing a 3 Point hitch on the recently acquired 430. I'm struggling to decide whether to go with a Cat 0 or a Cat 1 hitch. I don't currently have any implements, so I'm not trying to match up with anything I currently have.

I know the differences between a Cat 0 and a Cat 1 hitch, and the fact that it's pretty easy to adapt a cat 0 to a cat 1 but almost impossible to go the other way.

What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks

Alan Anderson
Username: Jd318cda
Manitoba
Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Scott,
I had the problem you were trying to decide on. What I did was I made the 3 point hitch lift arms with Cat 0 on one end to fit on the tractor end and Cat 1 for the other for different sizes of equipment. When I have to hook up to a Cat 0 I put the bushing reducer shim in the Cat 1 to make it a Cat 0 size.
I have a JD318.3 PT Cat 1 with Cat 0 on right side

Cat 1 beside Cat 0 on 3 PT
Hope this helps.
Alan

Scott Cronbaugh
IA
Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody else have any thoughts...I'm leaning towards Cat 1, just thinking what the downfalls of that might be?

Thanks,
Scott

Brad Meehan
Username: Bradm
Ct
Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know personally, but if you can easily adapt a Cat 0 implement to fit on a Cat 1 hitch then I would go Cat 1 since you can use both Cat 0 and 1 implements.

Steve Hayes
Username: Steveh
VA
Post Number: 1448
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of issues come to mind. 1. You must be mindfull of the weight of the implement. Some Cat1 implements can be way too heavy for even a 430. 2. There are two widths of Cat1 hitches, 20" and 26". The current production X700 series of JD garden tractors are equipped with what is called a limited Cat1 hitch. This is probably more what you need to be shooting for.

Tanner Clark
Username: Glockem
VA
Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the CAT-0 Ruegg and I love it, but so many of the implements I find used on craigslist are always CAT-1, and sometimes you get lucky and they happen to be Limited CAT-1. Like Steve said, the main issue for our tractors is the weight of the implement itself.

Lets take CAT-1 Rear grader Blades as an example. They typically weigh from 300lbs and higher. If you find a Limited CAT-1 rear Blade they seem to weigh from 200lbs to 275lbs. If you get a CAT-0 rear blade they are always 200lbs and lighter.

I know we think our 318's are tough as nails, and they are, but I don't think they should have a CAT-1 400lbs rear blade on them just because Ruegg makes a CAT-1 3PH for our tractors.

Scott Cronbaugh
IA
Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points guys...now I'm leaning the other way... The Cat 1 doesn't do much good if you can't do anything with it.

I'm looking at the Ruegg setup, and he offers it in a Cat 1...

Gary Parsons
Username: 3jd318
IA
Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

400# doesn't bother our 318s.
gp

Dusti Snider
Username: Dc_snider
WV
Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO There is little benefit to a true CAT 1 on on garden tractors, as Steve and Tanner said you're just opening up your machine to way too much weight and stress on the drivetrain. Even though the lift arm width is right your still left with screwed up top link geometry as well, which can make it very difficult to level a true CAT 1 rear implement. Also you have to remember that irregardless of the hitch dimensions L&G tractors still have no draft control feature whatsoever...

Scott Cronbaugh
IA
Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will most likely be building most of the implements, so with most of the comments will be going with the Cat "0" I believe. I prefer the narrower geometry to design and build around as well.

The one thing I will most likely be buying is a plow, and they should be pretty easy to procure in a Cat 0 configuration.

Scott Cronbaugh
IA
Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, after looking at several threads here, and the input I've received. I've decided to model up and build my own 3pt. hitch. I think I'll just make two sets of lower arms to accommodate the two widths and pin diameters. I have access to a full metal working shop at work (including a laser) so it's kinda dumb for me to be buying the stuff I could be making.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page