Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

John Deere 318 Starter - "Clicking Ou...

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » John Deere 318 Starter - "Clicking Out" « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Timmermans
Username: John_deere_200
ON
Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have recently acquired a later model John Deere 318 and the only problem we have discovered so far was the starter. When you turn the key it only clicks and will not turn it over. If you click it multiple times it will eventually turn the motor over. Anyone have ideas as to what would cause this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scott

Here is the link to the video: http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg439/john_deere_200/?action=view&current=MVI_4960.flv

Kevin Hanson
Username: Kjohan23
IA
Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Others may have much better answers but we have one at where I work that is doing the same thing and there are several little"fixes" we try for it the most recent being holding the shift lever hard against the neutral position. I'm not sure why it is but the safety switches on our machine have been a constant source of problems. Along with the battery connections and making sure the battery is solid.

Scott Timmermans
ON
Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevin,

Our 322 sometimes has the neutral safety switch problem as well when trying to start it. I talked to another member and he lead me to the starter improvement kit and are going to pick one up tommorow from the dealer. I will let you know how it goes!

Scott

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 3001
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott and Kevin,

The 318 tractors with the P series engines have what is termed as a "solenoid shift" starter -- this version began in mid-1986 with tractor serial number 420,001.

If the voltage and current supplied to the solenoid winding is not sufficient for it to pull sharply in, the contacts (A) for the starter motor will not close and the starter will not spin. You can see from the wiring diagram below that the path to power the solenoid goes through the safety switches and the ignition switch TWICE, so all contacts must be in good condition and free of corrosion or dirt. The ignition switch on your tractors likely need to be replaced if they are the originals with two+ decades of service on them.

There is a 'starter improvement kit' that can be added to the engine wiring that substantially reduces the current that needs to be supplied through all these safety switches and key switch contacts -- it uses a relay to provide a more direct path from the battery to the solenoid coil (the relay's winding is driven by the original connection to the solenoid winding...) You can get a lot of information on this site by searching for the term "starter improvement" including the JD part number and how to make your own if you want to buy the components. the kit is under $30, but the parts are under $5 to $10 depending on where you buy the relay.

Hope this helps...

Chuck

Steve Kursell
Username: Hitechredneck
IL
Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 3:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently bought an ignition switch, same issue:
AM38227 $18.69
worth every penny

Chad Rowland
Username: John318
TN
Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 4:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 1990 318 did the same. Starter improvement kit from deere fixed the problem.

Andre Blanchet
Username: Ab318
QC
Post Number: 983
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve,
If you add a relay like Chuck said, your key switch will last much longueur.
Andre

Wiilliam H Jones
Username: Bullyj
TN
Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was doing the same thing, so I bought a new switch but that didn't help. You could arc across the solenoid and it would spin every time. I ended up installing a starter button switch on it. This was before I found WFM. The starter button starts the 318 every time.

Scott Timmermans
ON
Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,

We installed the Starter Improvement Kit (AM107421) for $30.53 at Deere and it starts and runs like a charm!

Thanks for all your input!

Scott

Steve Handley
Username: Blueorrfan
On
Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another vote for the starter improvement kit!

Scott Timmermans
ON
Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve,

It sure is. $30.00 and under a half hour of work it is well worth it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page