Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

50" deck speed up pulley

Weekend Freedom Machines » The WFM Archives » Restoration Forum - Hydrostatic Tractors Archive » 50" deck speed up pulley « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Ray
Username: Mickstan
IL
Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there such a thing? And if there is, whats the part number?

Kenneth W Wyant
Username: Littledeere
VA
Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there is ;John Deere says it speeds up the blades at the tip 10% part # is am116141 I bought mine at my local dealer 2 years ago

Jeff Ray
IL
Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did it cost, Kenny? And have you noticed a difference? I am running gator blades and it seems to be dropping clippings under the deck unless I run at full throttle all the time. If I run at full throttle, it blows them out the chute and leaves nothing behind. 318 with a new p218.

JDF
Username: Swampfox
CO
Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, You act like something is wrong with the way your deck behaves. What is wrong with what you describe?
You should be running the motor at full throttle since #1. your motor is air cooled, #2. the mower is designed to run at full throttle to insure that the proper speed of the blades are mowing correctly.
(I know some of you will disagree with me but at least the manual backs me up)
There is little advantage to the speed up pulley for normal mowing use, I feel, unless you want to throw the clippings farther.
2 more

Chuck Van Dusen
Username: Chuckv
OR
Post Number: 2056
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff,

I agree with Jerry that the deck is meant to be used with the engine speed at the full governed "fast idle", what is often stated as WOT on this forum. I have the original manual on my 46 inch deck and it is quite explicit on that detail ( and on engaging/disengaging the PTO when at partial throttle...)

There has been quite a bit of discussion here also on the differences between 'consumer' blade tip speed and that of professional turf equipment. The upshot is that using the speed up pulley more closely yields the tip speed of the pro applications, so if a knowledgeable owner maintains the blade balance, spindle bearing condition, safety device operation, etc. of the equipment properly, there might be performance advantages that would accompany the increased speed without incurring safety/liability issues.

Another often overlooked factor with a large effect on cutting performance is to slow ground speed a bit...

Chuck

Jim Briney
Username: Lodogg2221
IN
Post Number: 3160
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 6:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have the speed-up pulley.
I can honestly say that it does work better.
Ive been mowing with this particular deck/318 combo since it was new in 87. Got the speed-up pulley when I found out about it a few years ago.
I immediately noticed a difference. Its not that it throws the grass farther, but it is better at picking up laid over grass for cutting. Also, you can increase ground speed and still get a good cut.
Now heres the rub. If you dont have a nice thick yard, there really is no point. I have very thick grass, and no weeds, and mow at 3". It makes a world of difference for me. If you have weeds and just green stuff and not nice thick grass, and like to scalp your yard to 1 1/2", well, its not going to help much.

BTW, Jerry is right. Always mow at full throttle. You are not doing your engine any favors by putting a load on it and running slower...and as you have already found out, your mower deck performance suffers because of it.

Tom Shively
Username: Shivelyt
In
Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 6:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Jim. They mow better with the speedup pulley. It definitely has smaller clippings. They are also great for mulching leaves.

Doug Linton
Username: 425and300jd
In
Post Number: 580
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deere wants $68.20 for their speed up pulley, part #AM116141
Is there a less expensive one elsewhere???

Chad Scott
Username: Tickman88
IA
Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 318 50 in deck without the pulley. I gust bought a 316 50 inch deck with speed up pulley. there is a big difference. especially when you get into the tall stuff in the back 40. now I have his and hers mowers. I will be installing one on my 318!!

Tim Cummings
Username: Torino
VA
Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the 50 inch deck the only deck you can use the speed up pulley on?

Scott Warren
Username: Scottw
IA
Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speed up pulley was $62, when i bought it about 2 months ago. haven't mowed with it yet, still working on paint.

Carl Ryner
Username: Johnny
Mo.
Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally broke down and ordered a speed-up pulley for 50in. deck after mowing for 4 years with the standard one. Installed and mowed the day it came in ($63), and was very happy with the result. It was well worth the outlay, wish I'd done it before. Only negative for me was that 10% extra blade tip speed magnified the noise level of the deck. Now I need to check my belts/spindel bearings... but still a much nicer and even cut.

Jim Briney
IN
Post Number: 3161
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, no, no other option unless you want to fab one...

Tim, yes, the 50" was the only one its made for.

Fred Marek
Username: Fred_marek
MN
Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can I tell if my deck has the standard or speed up pulley?

David Gwatney
Username: Drgwat
FL
Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speed up pulley diameter is about 6.5".
Regular pulley diameter is about 7.25".

Speed up pulley
Speed up pulley

Jim Briney
IN
Post Number: 3163
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The standard pulley should also be yellow...unless someone has painted it, or possibly if they have replaced it, but a tape measure is the most accurate!

Jason W. Hangartner
Username: Jason_w_hangartner
IA
Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I run the speed up pulley with the medium lift blades on a 50 deck. It sounds like an airplane from chopping the air but it does cut good and picks up leaves well with the powerflow also.

Trpshoot
Username: Trpshoot
IN
Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to the help from some great guys on here I rebuilt my 50" deck. I had never done anything like that before and thought what the heck, so since I had everything apart, I bought the speed up pulley and the medium lift blades. I swear if I only had two more hundred RPM I would probably have a hover craft! HAHA

I never mowed with the standard blades and standard pulley, but my grass looks awesome, even if it gets away from me and it is a little high.

I have about 8 mowings so far and love it!

Jeff Ray
IL
Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great information guys. I will be looking for a speed up pulley!

Andre Blanchet
Username: Ab318
QC
Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't try to find the reference letter on the list, but the dimension are there.
The small pulley is the same for both.
The big one is the line in yellow.

Andre

Bob Garner
Username: Robertg991
il
Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that have done the speed up pulley, does the original belt have enough adjustment or do you have to change to a shorter belt. I'm going to do this on my 46" shortly and hope I can use the original belt.

Bob

Freddy Man
Username: Knottyrope
MA
Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its only a half inch difference. I did one on a 140 deck and a 332 deck.

Jim Briney
IN
Post Number: 3178
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, using Deeres assembly which is only available for the 50" deck, yes you can use the original belt.
If you make something up on your own, who knows...
And the difference is closer to 1", because the belt goes around half of the circumference of the pulley, the diameter means little, except to figure circumference...so technically speaking, you SHOULD have a belt 1" shorter, but its not really necessary unless your idler spring is really worn out.

Kent "I have a bar tire fetish" Ortman
Username: Kkortman112
IN
Post Number: 3210
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bob. The reason it should only work on a 50" deck is that the blade to blade belt on a 50" deck sits higher above the deck shell than on 46" decks. I have assembled the speed up pulley as well as the outer pullies from a 50" deck and was planning on trying it on dad's 46" deck, but haven't gotten around to it. By doing that I believe you would only have to space the tensioning pulley on the deck up with a long bolt and some washers to make it line up with the belt. One thing I noticed when researching this though is that the outer blade pullies on a 50" deck are smaller than the main pulley, meaning the outer blades are "overdriven" when compared to the center blade, where on a 46" deck all blades turn the same speed. The parts books list the same belt for blade to blade for both decks, so I'm not sure if the stock blade to blade belt would work by doing this (since the 50" deck is 4" wider), so that might be a problem. Other than that though I think it would work. One of these days I hope to find out for sure.

Kent

Kent "I have a bar tire fetish" Ortman
Username: Kkortman112
IN
Post Number: 3211
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I only mowed a few times with my 318/50" deck back in 2005 when I first bought it before adding the speed up pulley and factory medium lift blades. I have since added Gator blades and a two bag power-flow. For me I like it much better with the new pulley as I get a much better cut and a better throwing of the clippings when not bagging. I use the Gator blades in the spring and fall when the grass is lush, and the medium lift blades during the heat of summer to get a bit more lift for the sparse grass I have at that time of year (I feel that I get a bit more suction with the JD medium lift blades over Gator blades, but I like the Gator's for chopping up the longer, lush grass). All in all, if you take the time to level the deck and the shell isn't all knocked out of wack, the 50" with speed up pulley makes a very good mowing deck.

Kent

Bob Garner
Username: Robertg991
il
Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all of the info on the 46" speed up pulley.

Jeff,

Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread.

Bob

Thomas H. Veenker
Username: Tv4fish
MN
Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys: FWIW - Kent is correct - as all I had to do was "space-up" the spring loaded pulley on my 318/46" set-up. Works great with stock belt.!

Tim Cummings
Username: Torino
VA
Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 1:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Thomas have you noticed much difference on the 46" deck with the speed up pulley?

Thomas H. Veenker
Username: Tv4fish
MN
Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Definitely !! The blades DO spin much faster, I get a more uniform cut because I do believe the faster spinning blades create more lift. Also, I do NOT have to run my 24 hp. Honda wide open with this set-up either (Yeah, I know it's an air-cooled engine), but at 3/4 throttle, the Honda stills cools just fine and it's not working nearly as hard as the old Onan. I cut my neighbor's lawn also (probably a total of 1.5 acres) and I can do it in less time and less gas than before. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page