Weekend Freedom Machines

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Register for Account Register for Account  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View Clipart Clipart  

Archive through January 27, 2008

Weekend Freedom Machines » John Deere Lawn Tractor and Late Model Garden Tractor Forum » Lawn Tractor and Late Model Garden Tractor Forum » Archive through January 27, 2008 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Karl Eickhoff
Username: Karleickhoff
NE
Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out that John Deere's Horicon Works assembly plant will be featured on "Some Assembly Required" on the Discovery Channel, Tuesday Jan 29 @ 10PM EST, 9PM CST. They are going to show an X324 being built. Just thought I'd pass along the word.
Karl

Andy P
Username: Aperlet
NY
Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD LX173 Transmission Problem:

I was out snow blowing my driveway this morning and midway through I was not able to get the transmission into any gear other than 1 - N - R.

The problem seems to be strictly a mechanical issue. Gears do not grind, the lever just isn't able to push it into any of the higher gears.

I understand that the transmission is/was a problem on these, but the used dealer I bought this from told me that it had just been replaced.

Can anyone provide any insight into what would be the problem?

Terry Reed
Username: Treed
MO
Post Number: 1749
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff,
A M03280X snow blower fits the F5xx series front mowers - it's a 38 inch blower.

Jeffery S. Chandler
Username: Redbeard7278
NY
Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOhn Deere 38" snow thrower Serial number MO3280X020043. Can anyone tell me what this would fit on.

Thanks
Jeff

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1747
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even a JD rear engine rider can out do a MTD garden tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeoMbsy6Tb8&feature=related

Andrew Geldart
Username: Coot
N.B.
Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your help.My friend bought a new JD 130 a couple of years ago and its got a K46 transaxle.Putting in the T40 is the reason the price has dropped on the '08 models. I have a 17 year old 12.5 hp Craftsman and I haven't had any trouble with it other that installing tubes in the tires and a couple of batteries.It still has orginal belts on it.Got the fever for a hydrastatic.Theres a used 15hp Craftsman hydra for sale,nice condition,very reasonable, but can't seem tp find out the age of it.I'll keep lookin'.Thanks again.

Georg Heck
Username: Montanany
NY
Post Number: 710
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew,

If your going to spend the money on the L or LA, be fair to yourself and look at the Sears and lower end models to compare apples to apples. I would say, take the money your going to spend on it and buy a darn nice used JD Garden tractor: 200(340 242 260 265 285 320), 300(316 318 325 335 345) series or a GT series.

Steve Hayes
Username: Steveh
VA
Post Number: 1126
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew,
Don't count too heavily on buying a used transaxle off ebay. If you get to the point you need to replace yours you are better off buying a new one. Where do you think all the used ones for sale come from. Hint: other owners who have had to replace their transaxles.

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1744
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew,
I haven't been on JD site for a while, so I guess JD must have went with the K40 for '08. I know, in the past, the lightest duty transaxle they used was the K46. I guess it's to be expected as I heard they're putting in the K46 in the X304 (last two years it had the K58).

Andrew Geldart
N.B.
Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Terry,according to the John Deere website,the K46 is used in the LA 165 & LA 175's.The T40 is used in the 100 series up to including LA 145.That means its a little lighter duty that the K46.I won't be pushing any snow and only hauling a small garden trailer occasionally.I see K46's ,on ebay,fairly reasonable so could install on of these if I have a bunch of trouble down the road.Thanks.

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew,
Welcome to wfm. If I'm not mistaken, the transaxle used in these series is the K46, which is also used in the X300. It's a light duty transaxle, nonetheless, made for light chores light mowing, pulling a small cart (emphasis on small), and light snow blading. With the proper care, JD's entry level line should last a few years. The K46 is not serviceable, but it still should last the life of the tractor.

Quintin Stott
Username: Qstott
NC
Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason, I have a 445 with the MCS, and I run 5 weights. It's a little light in the front some times, but I have no problems with it.

Andrew Geldart
N.B.
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New to this forum so hope someone may be of some help.I'm looking at buying a new LA 135LE model lawn tractor.It has the 22hp V twin B/S engine.Also has the Tuff Torq T40 transaxle.I had read some where that the Tuff Torq transaxle wasn't all that great.This model is a cheaper line of John Deere so am I getting what I pay for?Anyone had trouble with these engines or transaxles?Sorry for the long thread.Thanks

Gary Parsons
Username: 3jd318
IA
Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark, does it have two hyd levers, four hyd couplers in front?
gp

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1742
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark,
Wrong forum. This is the late model forum, which is for tractors made AFTER 1992. The 330 was made prior to 1992. You can post this question in either the Vintage Forum or the Restoration and Repair Forums. Thanks.

mark kurtz
Username: Mjbk12
il
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need help with a 330 issue. How do I find out if the 330 my church has can handle a 54 inch dual hydro, meaning up/down and right/left, snow blade. I have found one with all mounting hardware that I want to buy but dont know if it will fit this 330, it came off of a 316 series john deere. Any help or sending me to a link would be appreciated.

JasonBengough
Username: 455fan
ON
Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

Brought home the Hydrolic MCS Power Pack Collection system yesterday. Quite the unit. I am going to order the rear hydrolic kit and probably front weight. With the 455 being heavier then the 425/445 I am thinking that I may get away with 5 suit case weights on the front instead of the optional 9 plus the braket. Do you think this will work or will I need all 9 suit case weights?? Take Care Jason B

Gary Parsons
IA
Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason, you can just put extension hoses on to the rear if desired. Taht is how my rear hyd on my 420 is untill I get it changed. It works fine.
gp

JasonBengough
ON
Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tim

Talked to the Agco Dealer today. The 430 that orginally had the Dump system on it, orginally came with front weight. However the guy who bought the 430 seperate from the system took the front weight with him. Checked with local JD dealer today about suit case weight for the front. Said that an individual suit case weight( one only is worth $50.00 Canadian! So I am looking at probably $200.00 for front weight( unless I built my own. Then I need to get the rear remote kit to run the lift. Have to order the kit out of a dealer in the states, as apparently Deere does not offer the full kits any more, besides the dealers that have kits that they have not sold. Yeah the hydrolic dump should really increase productivity. I was tired of emptying my current leaf collection system by hand, so this will really improve this set up. Take Care Jason B

TimS
Username: Tsykes
MA
Post Number: 1085
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason, that's a decent deal, but be aware that the mounting systems for the 430 and 455 may be different, so you might want to make an offer on the unit, plus all pieces needed to mount it. I like the hydraulic dump units - if you dump clippings into a truck it wiil really increase your productivity. You'll need some extra weight on the front too, so see if you can get the dealer to include it - after 5 years you'd think he be glad to get rid of it.

Tim

JasonBengough
ON
Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

Well I was at a local Agco dealer today, and they have the hydrolic Dump MCS for a 455. It was taken in on trade with a 430 garden tractor. The 430 was sold seperately, and so the dealer has been stuck with it for the last 5 years. Dealers asking $1200 Canadian for it. Is this a good deal for one of these hydrolic Dump MCS Systems? I am planning on going full bore into Lawn care and want a better way of vacuming up leafs and grass clippings. I like the Hydrolic Dump System, as it can be dumped quickly allowing me to get back into productivity again, rather then unloading my current vacum system by hand. This system would go on the back of my 455 AWS. Take Care Jason B

Bobby Brown
Username: B_brown2010
TX
Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy WFM Members:

I just wanted to drop a message to all of you to say Thank You. I have owned several John Deere L&G tractors since 1990 and one "CC 3240" (Forgive me fellows: a slick CC dealer talked me over to the Dark Side with a great price and $2,000 trade-in for a ten-year old JD 240). Anyway, like the guy on Star Wars, I found my way back home to the "Good Side." I recently bought a 2005 GX355 diesel with 150 Hrs., and it is the finest L&G tractor I have ever owned. It took about a year of searching and I finally found what I was looking for on the JD MachineFinder web site.

The reason I want to thank all the WFM members, is that reading all the relevant posts and information about GX Series tractors and emailing directly with a few, who owned GX355s, helped me get the info needed to find what I was looking for and the confidence to make an out-of-state, long-distance purchase. Even now, two WFM members are helping me pin point and fix a minor hydro leak on my new, used machine. I couldn't have done it without the advice and experience of posters on this forum.

"Good Manners," are one of the finer things in life that people often forget. So, I want to remember mine by saying Thanks to this forum for helping me be a satisfied John Deere owner/operator.

Kurt Wilson
Username: Khwils
IL
Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger, Yep, I found a 16hp Command that should work from SEW for $525 - that's hard to beat and I won't have to mess with any changes. Thanks, Kurt

Roger Henning
Username: Woodpecker41
WI
Post Number: 2105
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kurt by looking a SEW prices the motors cost the same so I would just use the correct one. Roger

Kurt Wilson
IL
Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger, I don't have a Courage motor in front of me I was hoping someone could tell me without me having to buy one. Or I was hoping someone has performed a swap in a LT155. I was just wondering if I could use the Courage as a substitute. It doesn't look like it will work. Thanks, Kurt

Roger Henning
WI
Post Number: 2104
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only you can know Kurt if it has a fuel pump or not as you have the Courage engine in front of you. You can always add an electric fuel pump if need be. I doubt the exhaust will fit as the Command is overhead valve and the Courage is overhead cam. Small Engine Warehouse which specializes in repowering garden tractors recommends only the Command engines as replacements. They have a 17 and 19HP version available. You might want to look up their web site www.smallenginewarehouse.com. Roger

Kurt Wilson
IL
Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger, I'm not overly concerned about the fit size-wise as I think there is plenty of room. But I haven't really looked at it real good either! I was more worried about the exhaust port and a fuel pump, if it doesn't use a fuel pump it won't work. Thanks, Kurt

Roger Henning
WI
Post Number: 2101
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kurt you are never going to know until you try the swap. I am not going to says it is impossible but many things could prevent it from happening. Your engine is bad so no matter what you do you will need to remove it from the chassis. I would do that and then take the Courage engine and set them side by side. I would measure everything you can think of on both engines. The most important before you start would the crankshaft PTO diameter and length. If those are the same try setting the Courage into the tractor and see what does or doesn't fit. Then you will have answered your question. Roger

Kurt Wilson
IL
Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, Yep, I agree that I got a lemon motor through the luck of the draw. I guess I wish it was a $699 MTD instead of a $2500 JD. I also agree the Command is better that a Courage. But... can I put the courage in the LT155? Does the courage use a fuel pump? Does it have a elec. starter? I just retired a MTD to someone else after 10 hard years on it - it is beat but still running! Thanks, Kurt

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kurt,
Rest assured that LT155 is a lot better mower than any MTD or Craftsman. The engines aren't made by JD, but the Kohler Command is a better engine than the Courage. If you would have bought a MTD, the engine probably would have outlasted the rest of the mower. It sounds like you just got a bad break on that engine. It could of happen to any brand, regardless of color.

Like I said I have a good Kohler Command but we're probably about 250 miles apart so that may not be an option for you.

Kurt Wilson
IL
Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George, Thanks, you're right, it sounds REAL bad like it's coming APART! I am perplexed by this motor as I doubt it has more that 100 hours on it, I bought the mower new in about 2000 using it to mow a 100x150 lot. It started ticking and losing power slowing increasing both. Then I changed the oil and things really went bad, it started smoking real bad. I talked to my local dealer head mechanic and he said to try changing the oil and cleaning the carb. He said it sounded like the float bowl was stuck and leaked gas into the crankcase. I did both and that worked stopping the smoking but of course not the knocking. It ticks fairly loud at full throttle but really knocks when I decelerate the motor. I initialy thought like you that the tick sounded like valves but when it went to knocking I just figured the motor was coming apart. Can I adjust the lifters? I was very disappointed that I only got 100 hours out of a John Deere - I could do better with a MTD or a C-man for less that half the price!! The rest of the mower is like brand new, my neighbor wants to buy it from me for a couple hundred dollars but I don't want to give it away! The dealer wants almost $700 for a new shortblock but I can get a complete Courage for $400. Going the dealer route will cost me close to $1000 plus all my labor for a mower that's probably only worth $1200. Thanks, Kurt

J. H. Tews
Username: Trrjohn
WI
Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randy,
The 425, 445 and 455 are the same basic tractor with different engines. 425 is carbuerated gas, 445 is fuel injected gas and 455 is 3 cylinder diesel - all about 20 hp. The 455 diesel weighs about 200 lbs. (+/- 1,150 ) more than the gas versions (+/- 950 ).
John

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1738
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kurt,
IMHO, the Kohler Commands are better engines than the Kohler Courages which have more plastic parts in them. Georg gave you some good advice and I really can't add more to it. I do have a good Kohler Command 14 hp that's on a STX46 that I could part with if you needed a good engine.

Georg Heck
NY
Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kurt,

Can you give some more details on your Kohler Command knocking? I have had quite a few of them and they have hydraulic lifters that make then sound like they are coming APART!.....until they warm up and pressurize the lifters. Many people use thinker oil, but ONLY use 10W-30.

Run it till it blows.

Georg

TimS
MA
Post Number: 1072
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randy, the best place to start is here: http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/products_non_current/series/400_series.html?tm=ho&link=dnav

You'll see there is a link for each of the 3 machines. There are many owners here who would be happy to answer any more specific questions you might have.

Tim

randy hargreaves
Username: Stoonboy
SK
Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoping someone could give me the specs on the Model 425,445 and 455 garden tractors. The vintage forum has Model Info for each series. I'm interested in year manufactured, engine size, weight etc. I have a Model 216, a LX277 and a Model 4100 CUT, but interested in getting a 425 or maybe a 332.

Kurt Wilson
IL
Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI, I have a LT 155 with a Kohler Command 15 hp knocking engine. Can I replace this engine with a Kohler Courage 15 hp? Thanks, Kurt

Georg Heck
NY
Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave S,

WOW, I did not see that!! I am not worried about the 666.....but I am worried that I am have spent to much time to have 666 posts. Oh well, better keep posting to get away from the 666. So when I get to 860, do I need to have 2 - 430's? or do I need to work up to a compact series and that is a long way away.

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1736
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to echo Jim's sentiment,

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Jim Brian
Username: Jd140400
il
Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

TimS
MA
Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave, Georg doesn't have to worry - around here, the number of the beast is 430, not 666:-).

Tim

Dave S
Username: Daves
MN
Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Georg- be careful . . . that was your 666 post.

Georg Heck
NY
Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason,

The "SICKNESS HAS INFECTED" you and I hope that you are up to the challenge?

The LX is a great machine, but if you think that it is BIG GREEN, you have a lot to be impressed with!

Now you need to FINE TUNE your looking while driving. You now need to SMELL and SEEK them.............while you will see the desirable machines being used regularly and need to BOOKMARK them........but also be able to see the ones lost behind the barn and/or the ones in the weeds.

jason
Username: Jayoldschool
ON
Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Georg. You've been a big help.

I'm about 25 min east of Ottawa. We just moved to the country, hence the need for Big Green! It has retired to the good life, being garaged for the first time since it was built in 1991.

It's funny, I now drive to work, and find myself looking at tractors, thinking I need another one...

Georg Heck
NY
Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Jason!

Ottawa sure is pretty!!!!

jason
Username: Jayoldschool
ON
Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a couple of shots of my LX176 with 38" snowthrower after dealing with the big snowfall that we just got. This site has been a great help with getting this thing working well!

[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/001.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmm, what am I doing wrong with posting images?

(Message edited by jayoldschool on December 17, 2007)

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1733
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael,
You can get a blade from a 175 to fit a 108 without too much trouble, and if you had a torch and a welder you probably could get it to fit a 212. I see 43 blades for sale on here from time to time that would fit a 212 as it would be a better plow tractor than a 108 which would do it, but is sort of light.

michael scott
Username: Deeremanmike
MO
Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you guys know if a snow blade form a 175 will fit a 108 0r 212 by chance?

Jim Brian
il
Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks tims, just went over and got signed up, waiting to get accepted ( e-mail from administrator) there is a lot of "cut" owners on there,maybe i can get hooked up with a weatherbreak yet!
thanks

TimS
MA
Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, not too much CUT activity on this board; try here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-owning-operating/

Tim

Terry Reed
MO
Post Number: 1732
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris,
This is the wrong forum. This is the late model forum which is for tractors basically made after 1992. Please ask questions on the 318 in the Vintage Forum. Thanks.

Jim Brian
il
Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi , i am still looking for a weatherbreak ( heat housing) for a jd 2320, or a similar tractor, possibly a new holland might be close in size, has anyone used one before ? i have been on farm tractors with them and they work very well on them. thanks for any help you can give.

Gary Parsons
IA
Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris we dug basenent to a 5600 sq foot house with 318, Leveled 3 acre lot smooth as kitchen carpet.
gp

MICHAEL J. GALLINARO
Username: Mgallinaro
FL
Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris,

Rent a Bobcat for the weekend and buy the 318 to mow. You can probably get one from Semcor in Keyport by Exit 117.

chris schaumloffel
Username: Waffle
nj
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking to buy a 318 tractor with a plow. I have an acre of land on the Jersey Shore. The soil is very sandy, and I want to know if this tractor would be good to level out my unlevel lawn, or should I hire someone with a Bobcat to do this job?

Bill Shamonsky
Username: Mgabill
Pa
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings to all. I have a JD 265 with a snowblower and I'm finding out that the older I get, the less inclined I am to want to be out in the elements during snow removal. My question is did John Deere or any manufacturer ever make a hard cab for the 265. I've seen cabs for older 100 and 200 series and newer 300 and 400 series tractors but not for the 265. I would really like to acquire 1 if they exist.

Thanks,

Bill

Barry Tarakoff
Username: Bearman61
MI
Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be a repost but it don't see the original. I did not have 12 volts at the glow plug string. I ran a jumper to the glow plug harness from the battery. The engine started like it was new. I ran out of time so I couldn't check out the contacts on the module but it looks pretty dirty in there. I'll keep you posted. Thank you to everybody for you help!

Barry Tarakoff
MI
Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Mike, the loader will drop right into place with the deck as low as it can go.

Mike Schiefelbein
Username: Dlnw98
MN
Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys,

With regard to installing your 40 loader with the mower deck already installed, I had the same problem with the loader catching on the front mower mount threaded rod.

I found a solution that worked for me- When installing the loader, make sure that the mower deck is lowered as far as it will go. This changes the angle of the threaded rod just enough that the loader frame will clear correctly. I'm sure most guys are trying to drive into the loader with the mower deck raised...

Mike

Barry Tarakoff
MI
Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary I agree with you about the ether and glow plugs. The only time I have used ether it is only when the glow plugs are not working. I have never needed ether until I started having glow plug problems.

Mike that is a great idea! I'll give it a try as soon as I get time to get out there. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to all!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page